This past Sunday I had the opportunity to go to the Provo
Rehabilitation center to sing hymns and talk with the residents. To be
completely honest, I actually enjoyed the experience and will most likely go
back next Sunday. It was really interesting to hear the resident’s stories and
where they were coming from. Growing up I can say that I always liked hearing
stories, especially from history, even though I was not much of a history buff.
While I was there I talked with three ladies, all members of the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, with interesting backgrounds that all
started and continue to be in Utah. In fact it was pretty fun. One of the
ladies was hard-of-hearing in one ear and had to use a hearing aid. She was
extremely sweet and asked what my name was a few times because she could either
not remember or did not hear me. After answering this inquiry for the third
time she must have thought that my name was Conrad because she proceeded to
tell me about this man she knew named Conrad that was apparently a very nice
man. I was a little caught off guard but found it amusing that she thought my
name was Conrad. I however felt bad in correcting her, so I just went along
with it and replied by saying that I was sure that Conrad was in fact a great
guy to be around.
Although it was an enjoyable experience to talk with these
people, it was also sad to see the condition that they were in and the lack of
visitors and attention from their families that they get. The nursing home
reminded me of opportunities that I had back home while I was a priest in
taking the sacrament to people in nursing homes. They were always so grateful
and it just reminded me of the love that Christ has for all of God’s children.
A view from outside the nice looking complex.
No comments:
Post a Comment