The Candle
As I mentioned before I am leaving on a mission in about a
month. In conjunction with that I have started to think a lot more about the
kind of example that I am of Jesus Christ. One of my favorite parables from
Mark that has deeply influenced what kind of an example and missionary I want
to be is the parable of the candle under a bushel. In this parable, Mark asks
the question of whether a candle should be put under a bushel or bed, or on a
candlestick where it can be seen. This is similar to 1 Timothy 4:12, in which
we are instructed, “be thou an example of the believers, in word, in
conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”
This has a strong application to my life as I not only
prepare to be a representative of Christ, but also as I grow and become more
like Him. Sometimes I think that I fall a little short in realizing how many
people are really watching what I am doing and listening to as well as what I
am saying. There are times in my life where, because I am human, I tend to put
my candle under a bushel, or in other words, not speak up like I should. This
should not, however, be my first reaction in these moments. Instead, like Mark
says, I should put my candle on a candlestick for all to see. I should speak
up, share my testimony with all, and be an example of a disciple of Christ. It
is only by taking heed of these words from Mark that I will become more like my
Savior who never hid His candle.
The Seed Growing Secretly

No comments:
Post a Comment