Never Waste Time

Never Waste Time

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

#7 - Which Seed Are You?



Matthew 13:24-30

In preparation for my mission I have been thinking a lot about the New Testament and some of the parables and the application that they have to my life. The parable of the wheat and the tares is my favorite parable recorded by Matthew because of what the parable influences me to become. The parable talks about four types of seeds: seeds that fall by the wayside, seeds that fall into the rocks, seeds that fall among thorns (which could also be called weeds), and seeds that fall among good ground. There is always something that can be done to improve, and it seems like every single day I am checking myself, checking to see which seed I am. I have to make sure that I am not becoming the seed among weeds, which seems to be the seed I would most likely become without specific attention. Instead, I try to focus on becoming the seed that becomes fruitful.

This point is emphasized in my current circumstances at college regarding the number of distractions that are ever present in pulling me away from the demands of my daily studies. In order for me to be successful, I know that I need to be efficient and effective in every way possible. Consistently, however, distractions, such as television, sports, friends, and adventurous activities, seem to be present around me, trying to take my time and waste it. In terms of the words of the parable, these distractions could be deemed weeds, which, if I’m not careful, can choke my precious resource of time.

If not the seed among weeds, I like to think of myself being a fruitful seed among good ground. To me this type of seed is a person who is converted and trying their best. One of my favorite quotes on the subject was given by Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in an April 2015 General Conference talk. He said, “We achieve this conversion by praying, by scripture reading, by serving, and by regularly partaking of the sacrament to always have His Spirit to be with us.” If we wish to be the fruitful seed in the parable, then we must be converted through seeking our daily opportunities to participate in the activities mentioned by Elder Oaks. This does not mean however, that I can go into the mode of “cruise control” as long as I am participating in these acts, because there is always more that can be done. Moving forward, this parable has taught me and created in me a desire to set my life in line with the Savior’s will and to strive to do and become more.

No comments:

Post a Comment